Well, not the news we were hoping for.
The ultrasound was first. The sonographer confirmed that Aubrey's measuring about two and a half weeks ahead - 18 days. She said Aubrey's weight right now is about 7 lbs, 14 oz! She also said that there was a LOT of amniotic fluid.
Then we were sent to the waiting room until we could see Dr. Solomon.
The nurse called us back and took my weight first thing, as usual. But this was NOT a usual weight! I'm up 9 lbs from last week!!!! She didn't seem to want to discuss it but made her notes and directed me to pee in a cup. Once I met her back in the exam room, she had me lay on my left side (as usual) to take my blood pressure. It was 130 over 85 and I said "Whoa! That's high!" She said "no, not really.... " but then looked at my chart and saw that I'm usually about 115 over 65, so then she wanted to recheck. She told me to get comfortable, take some deep breaths - I think it was 120 over 70, or something like that. Still high for me, but better.
Dr. Solomon came in quiet, looked at me, then started laughing, "Well! We had you do an ultrasound to see if we were looking at a big baby or a lot of fluid, and the answer is Yes and Yes! Good grief, who filled the pool??" He said the amniotic fluid is almost double what it should be and that Aubrey's size is in the 85th percentile. He then asked me how I'm doing and I said I was fine, except for all of the swelling. He said "well, there was just a trace of protein in your urine today (I've never had any before) and we needed to do a double check on your blood pressure..." Then he squeezed on my legs to check the swelling. I showed him how high the pitting is and he said "WOW!" I guess I'm now in the award-winning category. :P He said "well, your weight gain hasn't been horrible, but you did gain 9 lbs this week. Were you doing anything unusual?" I told him that there was no reason I should be up that much, especially considering that I was battling vomiting and diarrhea for two of those days and haven't had much of an appetite the rest of the week because I was sick. He said that all of these things would point to gestational diabetes and preeclampsia. I tested fine against gestational diabetes so now he wanted to do some blood work for toxemia (preeclampsia). He said that they'll call with the results tomorrow. If positive, I'll need to be admitted immediately and they will induce before scheduling a c-section (so pack that hospital bag). If negative, he'll want to continue to check on me and see me back Monday (instead of the usual one week Thursday), and he told me I need to be on bed rest - tomomrrow's my last day of teaching. We told him Ken has a cuff and he said he wants Ken to check my blood pressure regularly (morning and night) and call him if it gets to 140 over 90.
So, we wait. I'm not ready yet! The house isn't ready. Her room isn't ready. I haven't wrapped up everything at school. I'm not emotionally ready. I want at least another week....
While rolling through town…
1 year ago




No comments:
Post a Comment