June 12, 2007

Baby needs?

I'm trying to think of everything we need to get done before the baby makes its debut. Help me out....

get life insurance
set-up nursery
register (after week 20)
find pediatrician
decide on day care
health insurance (will my new school district's insurance take me? what would it cost to stick with old?)
birthing/nursing classes (ugh - when do i have to do these?)
make a will?
organize plan for birth announcements
make appointment for 3D/4D ultrasound?

What else?

And what are the things that we *really* need to register for? Already have: crib, cradle, dresser (double as changing table), highchair, playpen. Here's what we need that I can think of off the top of my head:
swaddling blankets
diapers (varying sizes and brands?)
swing
boppy (or similar)
carseat
stroller
sling-type carrying thing (what are those called?)
breast pump
bottles & nipples
clothing? is it necessary to register for baby clothes, or do people just know? like toys and such?
rocking chair/glider (probably won't register for this, but I think we need one)

What else is a necessity? Bottle warmers? Wipe warmers? Diaper genie? Or are all of those just gimmicks? Help me out, parents! :)

3 comments:

allison said...

HOORAY! We were so excited to run across your blog and read such wonderful baby news! You guys are going to be great parents. Check out the book Baby Bargains for lots of ideas and reviews of products. Here are a few baby things we loved/enjoyed having:
-- Diaper "Genie" made by Baby Trend. I can't remember the specific name, but it actually does keep the stench contained and was helpful with Carter.
-- We wished we had a bottle warmer for Carter, who took bottles well. So, we bought one to have with Mason. OF COURSE Mason doesn't like bottles so this warmer has just sat in the kitchen cabinet. I'd give ours to you, but it's for the UK...
-- Baby sling: we have a Baby Bjorn and it's awesome. They're an investment (I lucked out and found one for Mason for half price). You could borrow ours...
-- Play mat/baby gym: the deal that goes on the floor with toys dangling above head. Both boys enjoyed theirs
-- Bouncy seat: a MUST. Little baby chair that goes on the floor. Fisher Price makes good ones.
-- Wipe warmers are nice. we had one with Carter in warm San Antonio; Mason has had to suffer in cool/cold Oxford without. Certainly not a necessity, but nice for little bottoms.
-- Travel booster seat: good for when you're headed to friends' or parents' houses.
-- Jumpy seat: hangs in the door frame. Both boys loved theirs; keeps them occupied while you cook dinner, etc.
-- Baby monitor.
-- Clothes: good to register, especially so you know you'll have what you need when he/she is born, especially onesies, sleepers, gowns. Don't worry about registering for those cute hooded baby towels. People love to buy and give as gifts; I got like six with Carter. :)
-- Baby bath tub
-- Whatever size diapers you get you'll certainly use at some point. :)
-- I have an Ameda electric breast pump. At $150 it's a great value for your money.
-- Even though you're not excited about birthing classes, they can be valuable, especially if your hospital has lactation consultants. You can meet other parents as well as nurses who might be there when the baby is born and provide nursing support.

That's all I can think of now... I'll post more if I think of it. Again, SO excited for you! Can't wait to see you in September. We could go to Baby's 'R' Us together if you want and I can point out useful baby gear. Lots of love to you and Ken.

Jessica Moore said...

Thanks Al! You listed several things I completely forgot about. And of course, anything you guys want to loan me would be FANTASTIC! ;)

Off to Amazon to search for Baby Bargains....

When are we supposed to do birthing classes? Can we wait until like 8 months along, or do we need more time?

allison said...

Glad I could help! Ask your doctor about baby classes and where to take them. Our hospital offered them regulary. I think we went during my second trimester...