October 14, 2007

Touching base

Keeping up with this blog has proven really difficult since I started teaching again! Here's a quick recap:

Had a doctor's appointment on Sept. 27th. It was pretty uneventful. I was 30 weeks at this appt so they've started asking me to lay on my left side when taking my blood pressure. Blood pressure was good, urine was clean, baby's heartrate was good. But my WEIGHT! Oh my gosh I freaked out. All of my other appointments have been at 9am but this one was at 5pm so I think that's part of the reason I gained so much since the appt 3 weeks prior. At this appt, I was a total of 19 lbs above my starting weight. The nurse looked at my ankles and asked "Have you had any swelling?" I said "uhhhh... YEAH. I normally HAVE ankles." She said "Oh good! I didn't want to assume because I've had women say 'no, that's how my ankles always look' and I didn't want to take a chance." The doctor says I have pitting edema, which is when pressure to a swollen area (like when I poke my shin) leaves a little dent for a bit.

There's not a lot to do for it - drink lots of water, avoid salt, keep feet elevated... I just try to sit as much as possible. Of course, I've read that sitting a lot during pregnancy can cause hemroids and I think I'd rather have swelling!

Last week was our 32 week appointment (we now have appointments every two weeks, but soon it'll become weekly). Because I'm teaching in the mornings, now all of our appointments will be late in the day. Blood pressure was good, urine was clean, baby's heartrate was good. And, thankfully, my weight was exactly the same as the last appointment - 19 lbs up from starting weight. My doctor was in a delivery so we saw one of his partners. He measured my belly, then measured again, then measured again and asked "Have you been measuring big all along?" I was so shocked by the question that it didn't occur to me to ask just how far ahead I was measuring. At my 28 week sonogram they said I was measuring about a week ahead - I wonder if it's increased?? And then I started thinking about my brother being a ten-pounder baby... I really hope Aubrey's average! We'll see what my doc says at my next appointment, which is next week. While I was there, I went ahead and got a flu shot.

We also had our first childbirth class last week. It'll be every Thursday night for six weeks. I really like the woman who teaches it. She was a labor & delivery nurse for 15 years and has been a private midwife for the past 5 - she really knows her stuff. She said that 1st time moms deliver, on average, 8 days late. There are about 8 couples in the class, and all are first-time parents. The class is through the hospital where I'll be delivering. We'll be covering lamaze, baby care basics, hospital info (when to go, what to take, etc), and what to expect in labor and delivery. I'll also be signing up for a breastfeeding class, but I think that's just a one-night class.

About last week I noticed some faint stretch marks starting to appear on my belly. This week, they're DEFINITELY stretch marks! They're getting darker and bigger. They're already above my belly button (I think most women get them up to their belly button). Ah well.... I knew I was prone. Besides, if there's a skin issue out there, I've probably got it! Here's hoping Aubrey gets Ken's genes when it comes to skin.

I think that's all for now on the pregnancy front. OH! Dave Nichol's gonna be a daddy!!!! Congrats to him and Sarena. :)

2 comments:

Denise Bynum said...

Well it's about time! (That you posted, I mean- not about the Nichols becoming parents. Congrats, Nichols!) Is the photo of your ankles, or stock footage? Try to keep those gams up! Thanks for the update.

Granny

Jessica Moore said...

MOM! I hope you're not serious.... that is NOT a photo of me. I'm pretty sure it's a man! :P