October 19, 2007

one more thing

When the midwife was talking about symptoms of complications, she mentioned pitting adema. During our break, I told her that I have pitting adema but none of the other signs of preeclampsia and asked if she had any tips on reducing the swelling, other than the usual advice of drinking lots of water and avoiding salt. She said I should take one hour in the middle of the day and do nothing except lay on the couch with my feet on the armrest, above my heart. She acknowledged that it's hard to take a break from being productive but to think of it as time for Aubrey and that I am being productive in that I'm avoiding possible bed rest or pre-term labor. :P WELL, when you put it like THAT....

My hands are getting more and more swollen, too - to the point that it's difficult to grab things. She recommended keeping them down at my side as much as possible. But, again, it's hard to be productive with your hands at your side all of the time.

1 comment:

Denise Bynum said...

I hope you're taking that hour off every day for Aubrey. I'm surprised she said to keep your hands down at your side, but to keep your feet up above your heart. Seems counterintuitive.
Granny