September 7, 2007

27 wk appt

Today was an eventful appointment!

We had an ultrasound to "complete the survey" because they couldn't get a clear shot of somethings at our last ultrasound (19 weeks). This time, she was able to see everything and it all looks normal. However, Aubrey is measuring ahead by about 1 week, even though 8 weeks ago she was right on target. So she's had a growth spurt! She may be a big baby. Hmmm....

They gave me the RhoGAM injection. Most people are Rh-positive (85% of white people), but I'm Rh-negative. Because Ken is Rh-positive, this poses a danger to my baby because my antibodies could attack and destroy the baby's Rh-positive red blood cells, causing anemia, jaundice, and even heart failure. The RhoGAM shot prevents my immune system from producing those antibodies against Rh-positive cells. After delivery, if Aubrey is indeed Rh-positive, I'll get the shot again. It's a painful shot! The needle itself was no big deal but I could really feel the RhoGAM when it was injected, and then for a couple of hours afterwords. Right in the bum, of course! :P


They also did three blood tests. One was to check for anemia. If I'm anemic, they'll contact me to up my iron intake. They also did a glucose test to check for gestational diabetes. I had to drink this orange sugar drink and then have my blood drawn an hour later. I won't know the results until next week but if I failed the test, I'll have to go in for a 3-hour version. And if I fail that, I have gestational diabetes. Praying against that! I'm not sure what the third blood test was for.

My blood pressure is good at 108/70, no protein in my urine, and i've gained 7 (SEVEN!!!) lbs since 4 weeks ago. ARGH! That puts me at 11 lbs over starting weight. I really need to get this under control! I've got 13 weeks to go so I really need to keep it under a pound per week. I do NOT want to hit the 30 lb mark.

Next appt is in 3 weeks (Sept 27), and then every 2 weeks after that. I'm officially in the third trimester and already feel like it's flying by! We've got a lot to do before Aubrey makes her appearance. Blythe is throwing a baby shower for us on October 28th so that'll definitely help. :) Save the date!

1 comment:

Denise Bynum said...

Have you found out the results of any of the tests yet? Don't wait for them to call you. Try to get them to fax all the results to you, so you can fax them to me. I'll interpret for you. ;)
Granny