August 10, 2007

Updates

Sorry I've neglected you... :) Here are some updates.

Ken's Health
Ken is doing MUCH better. He's been on oral antibiotics ever since he was released from the hospital 8 days ago. He has vicodin but hasn't needed it at all. :) He used crutches for the first few days out of the hospital and whenever he was on his feet for long stretches of time, but no longer needs them. He worked this entire week with full-mechanic duties, just made sure to rest every now and then. Today he had some blood work done as part of his follow-up, and I expect we'll hear the results on Monday. His skin is still a little red and swollen just below his knee, but it's NOTHING compared to what it was. So yay! :) Hopefully the infection will be completely gone soon.

Aubrey's Health
Today was our 4 wk check-up (23 weeks total). My doctor is on vacation so we saw the nurse practioner, who is also pregnant and happens to be due just 4 days after us! :) Aubrey had a good heartrate of about 145-150 and my belly is measuring almost 24 cm, so she's growing right on target. I felt Aubrey move for the first time last week, when we were in the hospital. I don't feel her very often but when I do, it's pretty cool! She's not moving big enough or regularly enough for Ken to feel her yet, but I've heard most women feel something about 4 weeks before anyone can feel it on the outside.

Jess' Health
I'm doing well! I (finally) saw the dermatologist on Monday, but my rash completely disappeared a couple of weeks ago. He said it could have been PUPPP, and if so, it could return.... OR it could have been an allergic reaction. There really wasn't much he could do without being able to see an actual rash. He said I should try the two suspect products (one on each arm) for a couple of weeks and see if I get a reaction from either before using on my torso.
On another note, I noticed some swelling about a week ago and it hasn't gone away - my ankles and fingers are big (can't wear my wedding ring). The nurse practioner today asked if I've had any swelling. I showed her my ankles and she said "Yes you have!" She squeezed them (why do they do that?) and said swelling just happens in pregnancy sometimes, but that I should try to keep my feet elevated as much as possible and avoid salt. I've also been wheezing in the evenings and Ken says I've started snoring (LOUDLY) at night. I have asthma but it's really improved with age and I've ended up needing to use an inhaler only once every year or so. So this new onset of wheezing is a little disconcerting. The nurse practioner gave me a prescription for an inhaler (since my previous was expired) and advised me to see my general practioner if the wheezing/breathing gets any worse. She also said I should talk with my OB about my concerns with the potential of an asthma attack during labor, as she didn't have any feedback on that.
I've gained 6 lbs since my last appointment, 4 weeks ago! I blame that on the hospital food I was eating. :P But I'm sure the ice cream cravings have had a part in it as well. Need to be better about that this month and keep the weight gain at 1 lb per week, max. I'm now 3 lbs above my starting weight.

6 comments:

allison said...

I can't quite keep up... what was the original cause of Ken's infection? I just read something in Parents magazine about the rise of this terrible staf infections in children. It's difficult to treat b/c it is resistent to most antibiotics.

Glad you're feeling well! I got really swollen with Carter, so much so that I gained like 8 pounds in the final week before he was born. Lots of water retention means lots of trips to the potty after he was born.

Love the name Aubrey by the way. Can't wait to see you in Sept.!

Jessica Moore said...

Hey Allison! :)

It's weird, but they never would commit to a cause for Ken's cellulitis.... the "best" answer we got was "we'll never know, sometimes people just get random cellulitis infections so there's no telling." It's frustrating that we don't know how to prevent it, but at least we know how to cure it! You're probably talking about MRSA, which is nasty because it's a SMART infection and outsmarts our antibiotics. Luckily, Ken's infection definitely seems to be scared of antibiotics, but it did take the doctors a while to figure out which antibiotics.

I'm so excited to see you guys! And meet the newest addition to your family. :)

Denise Bynum said...

Did they say anything about drinking more water to help with the swelling? This website http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/pregnancyswelling.html
has lots about it, and mentions water, avoidung standing for long periods, eat more potassium, etc.
I'm glad the rash is gone, and hope it doen't return. Hang in there. You're doing great!

allison said...

Hey, we're headed your way soon! Is it still okay if we crash with you guys the nights of the rehearsal dinner and wedding? If not, TOTALLY okay. Just finishing up logistics. Can't wait to hug your tummy. :)

Jessica Moore said...

Mom-
Yeah, they did tell me to stay hydrated. But I'm pretty good about that! And I sit way more than I stand. I need to be better about putting my feet up, but it's so inconvenient when you're not doing something like sleeping and already lying down.

Allison-
Absolutely! We have a queen bed and a twin air matress. And no indoor cats. :) We would LOVE to have you guys!

allison said...

Thank you! We'll be in touch with details. Can't wait!